Spinetingler

Last year we saw the most improvement in the short story category in terms of voter turn out. A couple of things played into this. We were more proactive in seeking stories out instead of relying solely on editors submitting them and , perhaps more importantly, we announced the nominees ahead of the other categories to allow voters enough time to read all of the stories.

We will be doing the same this year.

In one week the full list of 2010 Spinetingler Award nominees will be announced. The Spinetingler Award nominees have been selected by an editorial panel; the winners will be determined by public vote through an online voting system that will allow readers to have their say in each of the categories.

After the jump you will find the ten nominees with appropriate links. I hope you will take the time to read each of them before casting your vote next week.

2010 Spinetingler Award: Best Short Story on the Web nominees

A Wild and Crazy Night by John Kenyon from Beat to a Pulp

At Least I felt Something by Sophie Littlefield from The Drowning Machine

Blurred Lines by Michael Moreci from A Twist of Noir

Flesh Rule by Frank Bill from Plots with Guns

Insatiable by Hilary Davidson from Beat to a Pulp

My Father’s Son by Alan Griffiths from A Twist of Noir

M-N-S (n) murder-necrophilia-suicide by Anonymous 9 from Plots with Guns

The Present by Mark Joseph Kiewlak from A Twist Of Noir

Survival Instincts by Sandra Seamans from Pulp Pusher

The Tut by Paul D Brazill from Beat to a Pulp

Congratulations to all the nominees. Voting instructions will be available when the nominees in the other categories are announced.

Brian Lindenmuth

Brian is the non-fiction editor of Spinetingler magazine and one of the fiction editors of Snubnose Press. In addition to Spinetingler his work has appeared in Crimespree magazine and at BSC Review, Galleycat and the Mulholland Books website. He also heads the Spinetingler Award committee.

More Posts - Website - Twitter

21 Comments

• Sandra Seamans says:

Wow! What a list! Congrats to all the nominees!!!

• Paul Brazill says:

Congratulations to the nominees and I am WELL chuffed to have The Tut in there…

• Steve Weddle says:

Wow. Awesome stuff all around.

• So honored to make the list – and so nice to see friends there!

• Well knock me down with a feather!

Thank you Spinetingler for the nomination; it’s an honour to make the list and congrats to the other nominees.

• Thrilled to be on this list, and to see some of my favorite writers on it, too!

• Anonymous-9 says:

Unbelieveable. I am thrilled that M-N-S is nominated for a Spinetingler Award. This is the greatest! I got up this morning, got an email about it, and it was like Christmas morning!

One small thing, can you please correct the title in your list? It’s spelled
    M-N-S. The whole title is: M-N-S (n) murder-necrophilia-suicide. Abbreviating it to M-N-S is okay too. (The (n) should be in italics like a dictionary definition for “noun” but I can’t get it to ital in this message box.)
    Thank you, a million times for this honor. Spinetingler rules.
    Anonymous-9

• Heartfelt congratulations to the talented writers who have been nominated! I have enjoyed many of these stories, and now I’ll check out the others, too. A wonderful list!

• Great joy to see so many grat stories on this list.

• Of course I meant great!!

• Congratulations to all of the nominees. This is going to be a very difficult decision.

Hopefully I don’t step on any toes or hurt any feelings when I say that I have to be biased and root for the home team of Michael, Mark and Alan.

But whoever takes this award, most definitely is deserving. These are all excellent stories.

• Al Tucher says:

What a list! Congratulations to all.

• Col Bury says:

By the quality of the nominees it should be a had fought contest – congrats to all n good luck (especially to the Brits – Al n Paul – no offence to the others, but like Chris, I’m biased too!) :)

• This is certainly an honor–especially when seeing the list of other distinguished writer nominees. I was thrilled to just get Blurred Lines published, let alone recognized in such a way. Big thanks to Spinetingler, and good luck to my fellow writers (some of whom are friends).

• John Kenyon says:

Thanks to Spinetingler for the nomination. What a pleasant surprise! There is a lot of great writing on this list, so congrats and good luck to the other writers.

• Congratulations and good luck to all the nominees.

• Rick Helms says:

Congratulations to all the nominees. I’m so glad that I didn’t reject any of these at The Back Alley Webzine.

• Conrats to John, Hilary, and Paul and their nominations!

• Stan Rutgers says:

Surprised to see Cizak’s “Diseases From Loving” not on this list.

• Elaine Ash says:

All of us at Beat to a Pulp are beyond happy that three out of the ten stories nominated were from our little e-zine. We have always tried to select quality over quantity, and it seems you noticed! Congratulations to all the worthy writers nominated, and thank you to Spinetingler for doing so much to promote writers and small publishers.

Sincerely and with thanks,
    Elaine Ash

• Thank you to Spinetingler for the nomination!