Frank Bill – interview

November 25, 2011
By

For the readers of Spinetingler—and crime fiction fans in general—Frank Bill is a familiar fixture. Bill was a part of the first group of writers spotlighted in Spinetingler’s Conversations with the Bookless series and was one of the first of that group to receive a book deal. For those who are familiar with Bill’s work, no one was surprised that the Indiana writer so quickly signed a deal. What was a surprise was the overall cultural impact and attention for which Bill’s debut short story collection, Crimes In Southern Indiana, has received.

Since its debut this past fall, the collection has received near universal praise for its rough hewn style and brutal originality. Salon.com even went so far as to compare Bill’s prose to Steinbeck. This past September I was lucky enough to sit down with Bill at Bouchercon to discuss Crimes In Southern Indiana, the roots of unique brand of storytelling, and his future writing projects.

I hope you enjoy.

Frank Bill, part 1

Interview – Frank Bill, part 1 from Keith Rawson on Vimeo.

Frank Bill, part 2

Interview – Frank Bill, part 2 from Keith Rawson on Vimeo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Keith Rawson

Keith Rawson is a little-known pulp writer whose short fiction, poetry, essays, reviews, and interviews have been widely published both online and in print. He is the author of the short story collection The Chaos We Know (SnubNose Press)and Co-Editor of the anthology Crime Factory: The First Shift.(New Pulp Press) He lives in Southern Arizona with his wife and daughter.

More Posts - Website - Twitter - Facebook

Tags: ,

7 Responses to Frank Bill – interview

1. Charlie Stella on November 25, 2011 at 11:23 am

Frank mentions Larry Brown (an author Vicki Hendricks first turned me on to a few years back–GREAT writer). I think about all the great books from last year and remain in awe of the authors. Frank Bill, Ben Whitemer’s, Lynn Kostoff and Michael Harris’ immediately jump to the forefront of my mind. Great stuff, Keith, as always. Frank (for me) is writing about Middle-America the way Hubert Selby Jr. did about my home town.

2. Colleen Collins on November 25, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Really enjoyed this interview. Liked how Frank Bill talked about the influence of his family’s daily storytelling on his writing.

Crimes in Southern Indiana is on my must-buy list.

3. Jack on November 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm

So not only is Frank Bill the most exciting new crime writer around, grabbing everyone’s attention with his remarkable talent, it seems he’s a incredibly nice guy, too … exactly the type we’d all like to sit around that campfire with, drinking beer and shooting the shit. It’s F-ing disgusting. No man should be so blessed. I’m glad the video ended when it did. My day was nearly ruined.

4. lynn kostoff on November 25, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Enjoyed the interview a lot. Crimes in Southern Indiana remains one of my favorite reads from this past year, and Chaos We Know one of my favorite e-books. Can’t go wrong with either.

5. Frank Bill on November 26, 2011 at 9:12 am

Keith, thanks for giving me the time of day. Hopefully we can hook up a gain the near future.

6. Aldo on November 26, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Great interview. You know when you are reading something great when it resonates inside of you. Frank is one of those writers where you can really connect with characters and sense of place. I like that…. modern Steinbeck.

7. Michelle Isler on December 2, 2011 at 3:09 am

Excellent interview. I could talk to both of you guys all day long. Frank has just jumped out there with his book and everyone is loving it. Keith, it seems you are right there with your own book. Good luck guys. Thanks for the talk.